9/30/08

Today in Fashion Week:September 30th

First things first, I'd like to commend Gossip Girl on their Fashion Week episode last night! There were a few nods to the fashion crowd that I noticed, so I was very pleased with what they did. Now, there are like a million shows today, so let's get to that!

Balenciaga

Balenciaga was so boldly different this season that I cannot express admiration or disgust. I have a feeling that as I inevitably adjust to seeing this everywhere I will learn to love it.

To see the rest, including Junya Watanabe and Comme Des Garçons, click


Junya Watanabe

Junya Watanabe had an ethnic feel to it. You have to admire them for so boldly embracing the look they chose, but some of it just wasn't working. The headpieces, however, were brilliant.

Issey Miyake

Issey Miyake was still stuck in sheer mode. Like I've said, I'm ready for a new trend already, but it was still a solid show.

Ann Demeulemeester

I think Ann Demuelemeester is another one of my favorites this season. She played with ruffles and draping for some seriously covetable items.

Comme Des Garçons

Oh my god! Cotton candy wigs? I'm interpreting this as a county fair gone zombie.

Jean Paul Gaultier

The show opened with a series of ballerina-like leotards. They were minimal but I got them. What followed was a series of subdued looks that leave me with a little more worry. Do we really want to live in a world where the conservative person in the office is wearing JPG?

Véronique Branquinho

Veronique Branquinho is fantastic at what she does, and whatever that is is extremely agreeable to me. The suits alone make this another one of my favorites.

Loewe

Loewe is in the process of reinvention under Stuart Vevers. This collection, shown on mannequins, is sure to help with brand identity. It was chic and approachable, but did not forget its Spanish roots, with ruffles shown throughout.

That's it for today, but Karl Lagerfeld and Givenchy are only some of the highlights tomorrow.

No comments: